The key to a healthy digestive tract is to be able to properly assimilate and eliminate food – essentially break down foods and then remove them in simple terms. Overeating, eating poorly combined foods and eating a lot of fatty foods are some examples of what has weakened our digestive systems, making the assimilation and elimination process too heavy of a job load to complete. Donna Gates and the Body Ecology Diet introduces two very easy rules that help reduce this workload.
1) Eat until your stomach is 20% full leaving 20% for digestion
Overeating massively slows down digestion. It is important that digestion happens quickly, if it doesn’t then food starts to ferment (gross) yeast then feed off the sugars produced in the fermentation and grow. Sound so gory, and it is! Ensuring you leave the 20% allows for your body to quickly digest and ensure no damage takes place.
2) 80% of the food on your plate should be land/ocean veggies. The remaining 20% can be protein or grains (only specific grains) and starchy veg (such as sweet potatoes)
Proteins and grains are what we call acid-forming foods that slow the body’s digestive system down. We need as many alkaline forming foods such as veggies to bring our bodies back to that balance .